I love this soup because it's spicy and flavorful and yet it's only made from vegetables, herbs and spices. The zucchini, squash, bell pepper and corn are packed with vitamins, minerals, fiber to fill you up. Anti-inflammatory onion adds immune-boosting compounds and the tomato base adds the skin-protecting and disease-fighting antioxidant lycopene.
What You'll Need:
- 1 green zucchini, chopped
- 1 small yellow summer squash, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups frozen organic corn kernals
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion, diced
- 1 bunch organic kale leaves, stems removed (approximately 12 stems - or 4 cups of leaves)
- One 28 ounce can of organic fire roasted stewed tomatoes
- One 32 oz jug of organic vegetable broth
- One 14 oz. can tomato sauce
- 3 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Teaspoon oregano
- 1 Tablespoon light olive oil
- 1 Tbsp hot sauce (if you're sensitive to spice, use 1/2 Tbsp)
Note: If you do want to add some beans to this soup, simply add in one or two cans of rinsed organic black, kidney or garbanzo beans after the first 20 minutes of cooking so they can simmer for at least 30 minutes.
- Vegan shredded cheese or regular shredded cheese (I love using a cheese grater and the Follow Your Heart mozzarella block made with coconut oil or Daiya Mozzarella shreds)
- Vegan sour cream or cashew sour cream
- Diced avocado
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Hot sauce (if you dare)
- Crumbled organic corn tortilla chips
In a large Dutch oven heat 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Add corn kernels. Sauté for 5 minutes. Next, add the diced onion, diced yellow squash, diced green zucchini, diced bell pepper, chili powder, oregano, and hot pepper sauce. Continue to sauté for another 5 - 10 minutes, stirring throughout to avoid burning.
Add the tomato sauce, fire-roasted diced tomatoes (with juices) and vegetable broth. Bring to a low boil and simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the kale leaves (stems removed) and simmer for another 10 minutes.
Ladle into individual bowls and top each serving with your favorite toppings! For me, it's a little vegan mozzarella cheese and crumbled organic corn tortilla chips.
Filmmaker. Photographer. Travel & adventure junkie.