These raw tacos are SO GOOD.
I buy a raw burrito from my local co-op on occasion as a treat but it's wrapped in a collard leaf, comes with a cashew cream and costs me $11. So I was inspired to make my own. This dish is much more affordable and in my opinion - delicious. Instead of pairing it with a heavy cashew cream, I made a mango pico de gallo and added alfalfa sprouts for an extra nutrient boost. I also chose to use romaine lettuce as my 'taco shell' which allows all of the other flavors to take front and center stage.
What You'll Need:
For the Tacos:
- 1/2 cup soaked sunflower seeds (soaked overnight, rinsed and water drained)
- 5 organic sun-dried tomatoes (if dehydrated - soak for 30 minutes in warm water OR packed in oil)
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves
- 1/4 cup organic alfalfa sprouts
- 2 Tbsp diced red onion
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder OR 1 clove fresh minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp dried cumin
- 1/4 tsp dried coriander
- 1/8 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp sea salt (add a pinch more if you'd like, to your personal taste)
- A pinch of cayenne (literally just a pinch, it's hot!)
- 1/4 cup filtered water
For The Mango Pico De Gallo:
- 1/4 cup diced cherry tomato
- 1/4 cup diced fresh mango
- 2 Tbsp red onion
- 1 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- A pinch each of sea salt, garlic powder (or fresh minced garlic) & black pepper, to taste
Soak your sunflower seeds overnight.
In a food processor - combine soaked sunflower seeds (water drained), sundried tomatoes, red onion, nutritional yeast, chili powder, garlic powder, dried cumin, dried coriander, smoked paprika, sea salt, cayenne, filtered water and extra virgin olive oil. Pulse for a 1 -2 minutes, stopping to scrape down the sides, until if you have a smooth chorizo.
To make the mango pico de gallo, combine your cherry tomatoes, fresh mango, red onion, chopped cilantro, lemon juice, salt, pepper and garlic powder in a small bowl and mix with a fork.
To serve - simply fill each romaine leaf with 1 Tbsp of sunflower chorizo and spread it along the ridge. Top with alfalfa sprouts and serve with a small bowl of mango pico de gallo.
Filmmaker. Photographer. Travel & adventure junkie.